Calabria Travel Guide
One of the least explored regions in Italy, Calabria is often skipped over as travelers head to its better-known “neighbor” Sicily. The narrow Straits of Messina separate the toe of Italy from the largest island in the Mediterranean.
Though Calabria ranks low on travelers’ itineraries, its 780 kilometers of beaches and seaside cliffs put it third on the list of regions with the most coastline. Some of Calabria’s beaches are legendary.
Beyond the beach, Calabria is known for the archeological museum in Reggio Calabria. The Museo Archeologico Nazionale is home to the Riace Bronzes, two of the most important ancient sculptures in Italy.
Here are some important things that a traveler to Calabria should know:
- Calabria has a Mediterranean climate, which means that it is generally warm and dry in the summer and mild and wet in the winter. The best time to visit Calabria is in the summer when the weather is warm and sunny, but be prepared for some crowds and higher prices.
- Calabria is known for its beautiful beaches, and there are many to choose from. Some of the most popular beaches in Calabria include Tropea, Capo Vaticano, and Scilla. Many of these beaches have crystal-clear waters and are perfect for swimming and sunbathing.
- Calabria is also home to a number of stunning mountain ranges, including the Aspromonte and the Sila. These mountains are perfect for hiking, biking, and nature enthusiasts.
- Stanley Tucci’s family came from Calabria. You can learn where he went by checking out Searching for Italy: Season 2, Episode 5.
- Calabria has a rich cultural heritage, and there are many interesting museums and historical sites to visit. Some of the most popular cultural attractions in Calabria include the National Archaeological Museum of Reggio Calabria, which houses some of the most important Greek artifacts in the world, and the historic city of Cosenza, which is known for its beautiful churches and historical buildings.
- Calabria is also known for its delicious food and wine. One of the most famous local specialties to try is the spicy ‘nduja sausage.