In August, as Italians close shop and head to the beach or mountains, the tourist tide rolls in to cities like Rome, Milan, and Florence. There are still outdoor concerts, typically the continuation of festivals from July, and major sights are still open. But the pace of life in August is much hotter and slower and you may find that that restaurant you always wanted to visit chiuso per ferie — closed for holidays.
August in Italy: Holidays, Festivals, and Other Events
August 5 – Festa della Madonna della Neve, Rome
On August 5, the papal basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome holds an unusual festival. The “Feast of the Madonna of the Snow” commemorates a miraculous August 5 snowfall in the 4th century, an event which prompted the faithful to build a church where Santa Maria Maggiore now stands. A reenactment of the miraculous snowfall happens at the church each year.
August 15 – Ferragosto/Assumption of Mary
By August 15, everyone in Italy is hot, tired, and ready to go on vacation if they haven’t already. Ferragosto is the old pagan name for the mid-August break that coincides with the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. But all Italians, whether religious or secular, hold this day sacred as no one is expected to be at work or at school, but on holiday with friends or family.
August 16 – Palio Horse Race, Siena
The second of two runnings of Siena’s Palio takes place on 16 August, and the winning contrada of this event gets bragging rights for the rest of the year. Tickets for the Palio (as well as hotels in the area) are very hard to come by if you haven’t planned well in advance.
Quick Guide to Dates in August: Anniversaries, Events, Births, and Deaths
- Birth of Claudius (10 B.C.)
- Birth of Enrico Caruso (1921)
- Bologna train station bombing (1980)
- Festa della Madonna della Neve in Rome
- Birth of Nicola Salvi (1697), architect of the Trevi Fountain
- Feast Day of San Donato of Arezzo, celebrated in Arezzo (Tuscany) and widely throughout the Salento subregion of Puglia (e.g., Biccari)
- Death of Trajan (117)
- Feast Day of San Lorenzo of Rome
- Feast Day of Santa Clara di Assisi
- Death of Giambologna (1608)
- Death of Augustus (14 A.D.)
- Italian immigrants Sacco and Vanzetti executed in Boston (1927)
- Feast Day of San Bartolomeo
- Earthquake in central Italy devastates town of Amatrice (2016)
- Feast Day of Saint Alexander of Bergamo
- Death of Titian (1576)
- Feast Day of Saint Sabina
- Birth of Caligula (12 A.D.)
January in Italy | February in Italy | March in Italy | April in Italy | May in Italy | June in Italy | July in Italy | August in Italy | September in Italy | October in Italy | November in Italy | December in Italy