Italofile is supported by its audience. When you make a purchase through qualifying links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you are looking for must-see museums for your Italy itinerary, the latest list of the most visited museums in Italy has arrived.
Italy’s Culture Ministry just released its list of the Top 30 Most Visited Museums for 2019. This being Italy, some of these museums are open-air museums, such as the Colosseum, which took the top spot with more than 7.5 million visitors. The Archeological Park of the Colosseum includes the Roman Forum, the Palatine Hill, and the Domus Aurea.
Approximately 30 million visitors went to the top 30 museums, and 10 regions out of 20 are represented in the top 30. The Culture Ministry also noted some surprising trends among the ones that made it on the list.
For example, there was a rise in attendance at museums in Naples. The National Archaeological Museum in Naples came in at number 10, while Castel Sant’Elmo and the Museo di Capodimonte both made it into the top 30. In fact, the region of Campania has eight museums on the list, including archeological parks in Pompeii, Herculaneum, and Paestum.
Note that this list tracks the number of visitors of state-controlled museums in Italy. So, private galleries and municipal museums are not included in the stats. The Vatican Museums, one of the most visited museums in the world, is also not included because, of course, Vatican City is its own country.
Here is the list of the Top 30 Most Visited Museums in Italy. A handy graphic of the top 30 follows.
Top 30 Most-Visited Museums in Italy, 2019
- Parco Archeologico del Colosseo, Rome
- Gallerie degli Uffizi, Florence
- Parco Archeologico di Pompei, Pompeii
- Galleria dell’Accademia di Firenze, Florence
- Castel Sant’Angelo, Rome
- Museo Egizio (Egyptian Museum), Turin
- La Venaria Reale, Turin
- Reggia di Caserta, Caserta (Campania)
- Villa Adriana e Villa D’Este, Tivoli (Lazio)
- Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Napoli, Naples
- Musei del Bargello, Florence
- Galleria Borghese, Rome
- Parco Archeologico di Ercolano, Herculaneum (Campania)
- Musei Reali di Torino, Turin
- Cenacolo Vinciano, Milan
- Parco Archeologico di Paestum, Paestum (Campania)
- Pinacoteca di Brera, Milan
- Palazzo Ducale di Mantova, Mantua (Lombardy)
- Museo Nazionale Romano, Rome
- Parco Archeologico di Ostia Antica, Ostia Antica (Lazio)
- Museo Archeologico di Venezia, Venice
- Castello Scaligero di Sirmione, Lake Garda (Lombardy)
- Museo Storico del Castello di Miramare, Trieste
- Gallerie dell’Accademia di Venezia, Venice
- Palazzo Reali di Napoli, Naples
- Castel del Monte, Andria (Puglia)
- Castel Sant’Elmo, Naples
- Galleria Nazionale delle Marche, Urbino (Le Marche)
- Terme di Caracalla, Rome
- Museo di Capodimonte, Naples