In the heart of Rome’s historic center, the Pantheon and Piazza Navona area abounds with hotels and bed and breakfast accommodations. Here are a few places to consider:
- Arch Rome Suites. Just around the corner from the Pantheon, this hotel has big rooms and unfussy modern furnishings. On a quiet lane that has several good dining options. Another bonus is the view — you can see a sliver of the Pantheon dome from some rooms and the building across the street has incorporated an arch from the ancient Baths of Agrippa into its architecture (hence the “arch” in the name).
- The Pantheon Iconic Rome Hotel, Autograph Collection. You can see the rooftops of Rome and the Pantheon’s dome from the Divinity Terrace of this hotel. Here are several types of rooms and suites, including spa suites and a room with a terrace.
- Albergo del Sole al Pantheon. Housed in a renovated 15th-century building, this beloved old hotel is on the Piazza della Rotonda and faces the Pantheon. Famous former guests include Jean-Paul Sartre and composer Pietro Mascagni.
- Grand Hotel de la Minerve. One of the most luxurious options near the Pantheon. It rests just behind the ancient structure on the same piazza as the church of Santa Maria della Minerva. I love this hotel’s roof garden, which has fantastic views of Rome and great aperitivi.
- Sant’Ivo Apartments. Situated perfectly between the Pantheon and Piazza Navona, these apartments will make you feel like you live in Rome. Units have small living and dining rooms and some have kitchenettes. The terrace has views of the beautiful spire of Sant’Ivo alla Sapienza.
- Eitch Borromini Palazzo Pamphilj. On Piazza Navona with a view to die for, this is a great “special occasion” hotel for visitors to Rome. Like the enormous church on the square, Sant’Agnese in Agone, the building housing the Eitch was designed by Borromini.