Founded in 753 B.C., Rome is the city that has sparked millions of dreams over several millennia. The Italian capital is home to the Colosseum, the Forum, and hundreds of ruins, museums, and must-see churches.
A city that has been around as long as Rome has is bound to be known by many names. Some of Rome’s nicknames are The Eternal City, The City of 7 Hills, and Caput Mundi (Capital of the World).
Vatican City, a city-state located within the confines of Rome, is where you will find Saint Peter’s Basilica, the Sistine Chapel, and the Pope.
What to See and Do in Rome
- 50+ Best Things to See and Do in Rome
- Vatican City Travel Guide
- 7 Hills of Rome: What Are They and What Can You See?
Day Trips from Rome
- Best Beaches Near Rome
- Lazio Travel Guide. Best day trips in Rome’s region.
- Day Trip from Rome to Pompeii
- Reggia di Caserta Palace
- Umbria’s Hill Towns. Orvieto is the closest.
Learn About Rome
Last Updated: April 2, 2021