Favorite Italian Words: The Sequel

Text in ItalianEver since Jessica at Italylogue wrote a guest post about her Five Favorite Italian Words, I have been getting great feedback about the post via comments, Twitter, and Facebook. For the past three months, the post has been one of the most popular posts on Italofile and I credit that to Jessica for her wonderful writing and to the Italian language itself.

So many people enjoy learning Italian. It is so melodic – it’s the language of beautiful poetry, music, and the closest to Latin, the “dead” language that spawned dozens of others. While not everyone can travel to Italy, everyone can try to learn Italian, which is the reason that the five favorite Italian words post struck a chord with so many readers.

One of those readers – we’ll call her N.A. – recently wrote to me asking where she could learn even more Italian words using the five-words-per-day method. Here’s a snippet of her email:

Recently I have started the plan to learn Italian by myself. I used to have a phrase book, and I also brought a better (Colorful) one with a CD. However, I found it hard to learn things too quickly, mostly sentences gave me the hardest time.

So I went back to the basics and rules, learned and reviewed them, and used sites which helped such as livemocha.com. Then I suddenly realized an easier way for me which is learning five different words everyday. Those words are preferably random, and not categorized, such as: family members, colors…etc.

So I started searching about this online when I found your blog which had a topic ”Five Favorites: Italian Words” I really liked the way they way [sic] written, the words are differently nice, the pronunciation is there, and the meaning with a lovely story also there.

This got me thinking: wouldn’t it be great to get a meme going around of other travel bloggers and Italian language learners to share their five favorite Italian words on their own websites? This way, we could help out N.A. (and maybe others?), promote the Italian language, and get to learn some new Italian vocabulary words ourselves.

The way that it will work is like this:

1) Write a post on your own site about your five favorite Italian words. You can choose anything you want, but do refrain from curse words. Also provide a short back-story on why you chose the words that you did…why are they meaningful/amusing/helpful/memorable to you?

2) Within your post, link to this post using “five favorite Italian words” as the anchor text. Also link to the friend or friends who tagged or linked to you (see #3).

3) Also within your post, tag (link to) 2 or 3 other friends’ blogs who you think would enjoy writing about their own five favorite Italian words.

4) When you’ve finished your post, also leave a comment here. This way N.A. or anyone else following this meme will know where to look for their next language lesson.

So, who is up for this challenge? I’m hoping that the following friends and Italian language lovers will consider writing a post of their own or spreading the word to others:

Cherrye of My Bella Vita

Madeline J of Italy Beyond the Obvious

Alex of Blog from Italy

Vince of Scordo.com

Robin of My Mélange

Jessica from Italylogue is, of course, off the hook. But if you’re reading this, Jessica, I’d love for you to spread the word (or, um, la parola)! And thanks again, Jess, for the great post!

Photo © dneese_l

22 Responses to Favorite Italian Words: The Sequel

1. Madeline April 30, 2010 at 12:03 am #

Fun idea! I’ll get to work…. :)

2. ItalianWinesAZ April 30, 2010 at 12:32 am #

I love this idea. Count me in.
    .-= ItalianWinesAZ´s last blog ..Experience Northern Italy: May Wine Dinner @ Fred’s at Barneys Scottsdale =-.

3. Melissa Muldoon April 30, 2010 at 12:35 am #

Ciao Melanie! Ecco fatto! I am up for the challenge and wrote a blog article on le mie cinque parole preferite! You can read it at “Diario di una Studentessa Matta” http://melissamuldoon.wordpress.com/2010/04/29/•-cinque-parole-preferite/

Buoni studi tutti e buona passaparola! ;-) A presto! Melissa
    .-= Melissa Muldoon´s last blog ..• cinque parole preferite =-.

4. Julie ~ jbulie's blog April 30, 2010 at 1:17 am #

Five favorite words in Italian.

1. Insomma. If you ask someone how they are, I get “Insomma”. It means not good, not bad. Can’t think of a good English equivalent.

2. Magari. How would you like to travel to USA? Magari. It means maybe but said with hope in your eyes, it has much more meaning to it.

3. TVB. All the kids in school have TVB scrawled across each other’s back packs, scooters and pencil cases telling their friends I love you as in Ti Voglio Bene.

4. UNIKAMOTIVODELMONDO ~ love how the kids play with words out here. Just like in English we would write How R U, the kids write K for che and x for per. Unikamotivodelmondo means the only reason in the world, as in U R THE.

5. boyfriend and drink ~ Ho un ‘boyfriend’, or Prendiamo un ‘drink’. When you say it roll your Rs!

Julie

.-= Julie ~ jbulie’s blog´s last blog ..Good things travel. =-.

5. willemijn April 30, 2010 at 10:12 am #

Ciao Melanie,
    will work on it. Love the idea!

6. Barbara April 30, 2010 at 1:44 pm #

Ciao Melanie,
    Che bella idea che hai avuto!!! Sono contenta d’aver avuto l’opportunita per participare!
    Ecco il mio post sulle mia parole preferite (anche che ne ho tante di piu!!!)

Grazie!

Barbara

7. Jessica, WhyGo Italy April 30, 2010 at 2:00 pm #

How fun, I’m so glad that the post I wrote for you is getting traffic – and proving useful to people! :) I actually had to cut some words from my favorites list, so I’m sure I can come up with five more…
    .-= Jessica, WhyGo Italy´s last blog ..Italy Travel News 04/28/2010 =-.

8. Melissa Muldoon April 30, 2010 at 2:33 pm #

Ciao, we are gaining momentum…another friend, Barbara at Il Mio Tesoro, has written a blog about her “Five Favorite Words” http://tesorotreasures.wordpress.com/2010/04/30/caspita-only-five-words/

Also, in addition to the 5 word blog festa that we are creating, be sure to check out Keith’s “Parola del Giorno” http://www.paroladelgiorno.com/ and subscribe to receive a new word every day to learn! Fantastico!
    .-= Melissa Muldoon´s last blog ..• cinque parole preferite =-.

9. food lover kathy April 30, 2010 at 8:51 pm #

Melanie- What a great idea! Here are my five favorite food words and 5 favorite non-food words:

.-= food lover kathy´s last blog ..Five Favorite Food Words in Italian…and 5 More Favorites =-.

10. Michael @Culture Discovery May 3, 2010 at 6:09 pm #

Come one! Come all… and learn about MY five favs… Experience the wonders of Boh!?, Occhio, and learn what rubber, tires and preservatives all have in common!

See you there :-)
    .-= Michael @Culture Discovery´s last blog ..My 5 Favorite Words in Italian =-.

11. Madeline May 3, 2010 at 8:09 pm #

okay my post about 5 favorite Italian words is up!
    .-= Madeline´s last blog ..Five favorite Italian words =-.

12. carol May 4, 2010 at 4:34 am #

So glad I found your blog (via Michael@CultureDiscovery) I’ll definitely work on a “Five Favorite Words”post, and will add you to our blog roll.
    .-= carol´s last blog ..WHAT RECYCLING? =-.

13. Cherrye at My Bella Vita May 4, 2010 at 1:08 pm #

Oooh, just saw this! I’ll get on it, Melanie.
    .-= Cherrye at My Bella Vita´s last blog ..Travel Tip Tuesday: Researching Your Trip =-.

14. carol May 6, 2010 at 12:28 pm #

My Five Favorite Italian Words – Chiaccheriare, Scampagnata and a few others are posted at http://www.ouryearinitaly.blogspot.com
    That was fun!!
    .-= carol´s last blog ..MY FIVE FAVORITE ITALIAN WORDS =-.

15. Barbara May 7, 2010 at 9:43 am #

I have added another 5 words to my list! You can see them at http://www.tesorotreasures.wordpress.com. I think this is going to be a recurring blog post theme for me because there are just too many great Italian words out there.

Thanks again for coming up with this idea – we are all learning so many new Italian words!!

16. LindyLouMac May 8, 2010 at 3:57 am #

I found your blog (via Carol@Our Year in Italy)who has invited me to join in this multi-blog event. I am working on it now. I’ll also add you to my Italy Blog list.

17. LindyLouMac May 8, 2010 at 10:50 am #

Here is the link to my post which I have just published on News From Italy

.-= LindyLouMac´s last blog ..Five Favourite Italian Words =-.

18. Valerie May 10, 2010 at 3:56 am #

Ciao, Melanie, Sto trovando questi blogs di lingua italiana e mi piacono molto! Spero studiare la linga per tanti anni, e, un giorno, essere fluente. Grazie per la inspirazione!
    .-= Valerie´s last blog ..Cinque Parole? =-.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Italian words please? | Italian Home Decor - April 29, 2010

[...] Favorite Italian Words: The Sequel | Italofile – The Italy Travel Resource [...]

2. • cinque parole preferite « Diario di una studentessa matta - April 30, 2010

[...] mese scorso, ho letto su blog “Italofile” il post “Five Favorite Italian Words”. Naturalmente ho lasciato una lista delle mie parole favorite nella parte dei commenti [...]

3. Caspita!!! Only five words? « Il Mio Tesoro - April 30, 2010

[...] origin of this exercise came from Melanie at Italofile   What a great idea!   Leave a [...]

4. Five Favorite Italian Words « Calabrisella Mia - June 27, 2010

[...] and figure now is as good a time as any to give you my five favorite Italian words.  A while back, Melanie over at Italofile started a meme as a result of Jessica’s guest post “Five Favorite Italian Words” and [...]

Your Two Cents...